If you’ve been injured in a slip and fall accident, you probably feel quite overwhelmed. However, doing the necessary things immediately after the accident can improve your chances of getting the compensation you deserve. Follow the steps below to ensure fair compensation for your injuries:
- Gather Documentation
Proving that another person’s negligence caused your slip and fall accident can be tricky. That’s why it is important to obtain as much documentation of the accident as possible, including:
- Incident Reports: When a person is injured on a business’s property, that business must make an incident report. This report will include important details about the accident who was involved.
- Photos: It’s important to take photos of the accident scene so that you don’t miss out on evidence. For example, if you fell on a liquid spill in a grocery store, the liquid will eventually dry up and there will be no proof the dangerous condition existed.
- Surveillance Video: Don’t forget to request the surveillance video of the hazardous condition. This will help you show how long the condition existed before you got injured.
- Witnesses: If anyone saw you get injured, ask them if they are willing to provide a statement.
- Medical Records & Bills: To prove your injuries exist, make sure to obtain copies of all your medical records and bills from your doctor.
- Hire an Attorney
It’s in your best interest to hire an experienced personal injury lawyer to help you file a lawsuit. A skilled lawyer has handled similar cases in the past and knows the law very well. He or she can negotiate with insurance companies on your behalf and make sure you don’t get taken advantage of. If you work with a personal injury lawyer, you can improve your chances of obtaining the compensation you deserve.
- Give it Time
It is not a good idea to settle your case too soon because injuries from a slip and fall accident can take a while to manifest. Injuries sustained in a slip and fall can often take awhile to fully manifest. It is important to let yourself heal and see if you will require future medical care for your injuries. Do not be tempted to settle too soon.
If you suffered injuries from a slip and fall accident, don’t hesitate to contact a slip and fall lawyer Bangor ME relies on today.
Thanks to our friends and contributors from David Bate Law Office for their insight into slip and fall accidents.